Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Seared Salmon on Coconut Spinach

Back in mid-December, I came across this recipe for salmon and it looked so good, I copied it down so I could try it.

It was so good, that I have since made it twice, each time changing it slightly. The first time, I used low-sodium soy sauce for the marinade. The second time, I used Yoshida's Original Sauce (I bought it at Sam's Club). If you use the Yoshida's to make your marinade be aware that it contains sugar, so be careful not to burn the salmon. Both times, I increased the grated ginger in the marinade and eliminated the red chilis in the coconut sauce. Since I was not able to find Asian chili paste, I used Thai Chili Sauce (sweet & hot). The final recipe probably isn't what the original author intended, but it was delicious and it will become a staple dish in our house.



Seared Salmon on Coconut Spinach
Adapted from a post on Sidewalk Shoes
My changes are incorporated into the recipe


4 - 6 oz. salmon fillets
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce (the second time I made this I used Yoshida's Original Sauce)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for sautéing)

For the Coconut Spinach:
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
3 tablespoons Thai style Chili Sauce (I used Kikkoman)
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
juice of one lemon
1 large bag of fresh spinach
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Savory Rice:
1 cup jasmine rice
2 cups water
2 tablespoons roasted peanut oil
2 tablespoons Yoshida's Original Sauce

Mix the grated ginger, sesame oil and soy sauce (or Yoshida's Sauce) in a small bowl. Put the salmon in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over the fish. Allow to marinate for 15 minutes on each side.

Prepare the rice first. In a pot with a tight fitting lid, bring the water to a boil. Add the roasted peanut oil, Yoshida's sauce and rice to the pot. Stir well, cover, lower the heat to barely simmer and cook for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn off heat, but leave the rice covered until ready to serve.

To cook the salmon, heat a frying pan over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and cook the salmon for at least 1 minute on each or until it has reached desired doneness.

To make the spinach, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic and cook quickly, but do not brown. Add the chili sauce, coconut milk and lemon juice and simmer for about 4 minutes. Add the spinach and toss until wilted. Remove spinach from the sauce to a bowl with tongs. Pour sauce into small bowl or gravy boat.

To serve, place a portion of rice on a plate. Top the rice with some spinach and place a piece of salmon on top of that. Ladle a little sauce over the salmon.

1 comment:

Chef Jeena said...

Hi there my name is Jeena and I have started a food recipe forum that I thought you would like to join here Click here for food recipe forum

I would love to see you on there to chat about food and cooking you can talk about anything you like and start your very own topics. :-)
or see my main food recipe website Jeenas food recipe site

Hope to see you soon

Thanks

Jeena xeedzqy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...