Saturday, July 21, 2007

Mexican Marinated Carrots

This recipe is for a carrot appetizer that was served with our chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant in Oceanside, CA called Anita’s. They wouldn't give me the recipe, so I had to keep trying until I got it right and I finally did. Try it and tell me what you think.



Mexican Marinated Carrots
by Terri Powers for Terri's Table


2 bunches fresh carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces OR 1 large bag of the prepared baby carrots
1 large sweet onion, peeled, separated and cut into 1 inch squares
3 ribs of celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
3 cups vegetable or canola oil
1/4 cup sugar (I have also used Splenda and it works just fine, too)
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
2 teaspoons coarse ground pepper
3 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1/4 to 1/2 cup marinated jalepeno pepper slices (marinated in vinegar)
2 tablespoons of the jalepeno vinegar (from the jar)

In a large pot, steam the carrot pieces or baby carrots for 6 minutes. You want them to remain fairly crunchy. Remove from heat and allow to cool.Cut the onion and celery into pieces and put in a large bowl. Put the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, pepper and dried oregano leaves in a blender and blend until mixed well.Put the carrots in the bowl with the onion and celery pieces. Pour the dressing over all and stir until mixed. Add the jalepeno peppers and jalepeno vinegar. Stir well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. They are even better after 24 hours. You can see by the photo that I used a combination of whole, cut-up carrots and baby carrots. It worked fine. Also, the longer these marinate, the hotter they get.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Yumm, this looks good! Im going to give it a try. Im adding you to my blogroll so I'll come visit often. :)

Steren/California said...

This is without a doubt a fantastic recipe! I steamed my carrots for exactly 10 minutes because I like them semi-firm. You do not have to use three cups of oil, only 1 1/2 cups, the same amount of apple cider vinegar. Marinate for 24 hours, the more the better!

Anonymous said...

Have you used the marinade for chicken afterwards?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...