Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Sourdough Bread Two Ways

The title makes it sound like something off of a Chinese menu, but it's not.

Thanks to The Friday Friends post, I am once again inspired to make something I haven't made in years, probably over 30 years to be exact. I am going to make my own sourdough starter, but I am going to use two different methods just to see if the end products - the sourdough bread - turn out any different.

There are apparently two (or actually three) different methods of making sourdough starter. Debbie at The Friday Friends is using the Flour-and-
Water-Only method. My recipe calls for the Flour-Water-Sugar-and-Yeast method. When I did some checking on the internet I also found some folks using the Flour-and-Milk-Only method. For my purposes, I am going to use my method and Debbie's method, since they seem to be the most common.

To make an equal comparison of the finished product, I will use both starters to make my mom's old, old recipe for Sourdough Onion Bread.



This first time, I am using my recipe for sourdough starter:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 packet (or 2¼ teaspoons) active-dry yeast
2 cups warm water, about 110º F.



Mix the flour, sugar and yeast together first in a sterile class container big enough to hold 2 quarts. Gradually stir in the water and mix it to a thick paste. Cover your container with a dishcloth or cheesecloth and set it in a consistently warm (75º to 80º) place. Let it sit 2 to 5 days, stirring once a day. When it's ready it will develop a pleasant sour smell and look bubbly. Once it reaches this stage, stir it, cover it loosely and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use.

So, this is what is looked like Day One... ready to be covered.



I didn't take a photo the morning of Day Two, but it had separated and sort of looked liked curds and whey and I stirred it to combine the two and covered it again. It smelled mildly of yeast, but not sour.

This is what is looked like this morning.



It seemed pretty bubbly on top, but again, it was separated and I mixed it up gently. This morning it smelled a little like beer.

Back on the counter it goes until tomorrow.

1 comment:

grace said...

i'm absolutely in love with my sourdough starter, and i'll definitely be keeping tabs on what you do with yours! oh, the possibilities. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...