Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sourdough Starter, First Batch, Day 4

I'm a little concerned. It is the 4th day and it seems not much is happening. There aren't any bubbles that would indicate any activity and there is a "hooch" that has risen to the top. You can see that it isn't a terrible color, just a slight amber. The good news is that the mixture actually smells good. It has that yeasty fragrance.



I'm thinking there are a couple of things I need to do to help it along.

First, I had to put something underneath the glass container to keep it from resting on the granite counter, so I put a cork mat underneath the container. The granite always feels cool to the touch and I think the direct contact with the granite lowers the temperature of the starter below where it needs to be.

Second, I think the mixture needs to be "fed," so I stirred the separated starter to combine it, then added 1/2 cup of flour and stirred to mix it well.

So back on the counter, on the cork mat, it goes, lightly covered with plastic wrap.



There's still hope...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...