Saturday, March 6, 2010

Asian Turkey Meatballs with Sesame Dipping Sauce



After all the desserts I've posted lately, I thought it was time to post something healthy and, of course, delicious.

A while back I received this recipe in my Google reader from Gina's WW Recipes. Gina posts corresponding Weight Watcher points and calories for all of her recipes. Since I am not an expert on Weight Watchers nor can I verify the accuracy of her data, I am not including them here. You can visit Gina's blog for those details.

However, I can verify that these meatballs are simply delicious.

I've already made this recipe twice. The photo is of the larger, dinner sized meatballs. I served them with a sauteed cabbage with a hoisin/soy sauce glaze. I also made the meatballs in a smaller, individual appetizer size, put a toothpick in each one and set the dipping sauce nearby.

The original recipe calls for an additional 1/4 teaspoon of salt. I left it out. I think soy sauce, even the low sodium type, is salty enough. The recipe also included 2 tablespoons of lime juice in the dipping sauce which I left out, too, and I liked it without the additional acidity. In addition, I increased the amount of sesame oil in the meatballs and dipping sauce.

Asian Turkey Meatballs with Sesame Dipping Sauce
Adapted from Gina's WW Recipes

Makes 12 large or 30 appetizer size meatballs

Meatballs:
  • ¼ cup panko crumbs
  • 1¼ lean ground turkey
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon ginger, finely grated
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced
  • ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 3 green onions, finely minced
  • 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil

Dipping Sauce:
  • 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 green onion, finely minced

Preheat oven to 500ºF.

In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the meatballs and mix with your hand until well combined.

For larger, dinner size meatballs, shape ¼ cup of meat mixture at a time into a ball and transfer to a baking dish or sheet pan that's been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake until cooked through, approximately 15 minutes.

For appetizer size meatballs, use a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon size portion and shape into meatballs approximately 1-inch in diameter. Bake until cooked through, about 10 minutes.

While meatballs are in the oven, whisk the dipping sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.

When the meatballs are done, transfer to a serving dish and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of the dipping sauce. Serve the meatballs with the remaining sauce.
PRINT THE RECIPE HERE

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...